Medicare Educational Seminar
Are you new to Medicare, turning 65, or just need help deciphering what everything Medicare-related means? Understanding Medicare benefits can be difficult and confusing. That’s where the Care Management Organization (CMO) Insurance Agency comes in.
CMO is sponsoring a free educational Medicare Seminar from 10 a.m. until 12 p.m., and from 1 until 3 p.m., Friday, April 14. Licensed agents will explain benefits and how you can get the most for your money. These are free events to the public and will be held in Forrest General Hospital’s cafeteria meeting rooms.
To sign up for one of the meetings or if you have questions or need more information, call 601-288-8119.
Celebration of Life
IT'S IN THE BAG
Packing your own lunch gives you control over ingredients, portions, and budget. Having trouble getting started? Here are some healthy options to get you going:
• Leftovers: Leftovers are a great choice for lunch or when you are on the go because they require almost no prep and you still have control over the ingredients and portion sizes. When you cook dinner, make a little extra to pack into a microwave-safe container. Just add a fresh fruit and vegetable, and you have a nutritious meal.
• Sandwiches: A classic lunch staple, a sandwich, can range from basic to gourmet. For variety, try different whole-grain breads, wraps, and pitas, and fill with low-fat proteins like tuna, lean meats, cheese, or sliced eggs. Have fun trying different greens and vegetables in your sandwiches, like onion, cucumber, carrots, peppers, sprouts, and tomatoes. For something different, add sunflower or sesame seeds or some fresh hummus.
• Salad: Make a salad into a meal by adding lean meats, feta, beans, nuts, or seeds. Add some dried cranberries or thin slices of apple, pear, or mandarin for a sweet or tart flavor, depending on your tastes. Olive oil and vinegar, light sesame dressings, and light or balsamic vinaigrettes are a great alternative to higher-fat dressings. “On the side” isn’t just for restaurants! Packing your dressing separately allows you to control your serving size and reduce your caloric intake.
• Chili or soup: Try cooking up a large pot of chili or soup on the weekend and freeze individual-sized portions for an easy lunch to grab on your way out in the morning. Just grab some carrots and a piece of fruit to round out your meal.
• Rice and beans: Rice and beans are a satisfying, filling staple. Try adding different seasonings and ingredients for everything from Mexican to Italian flavors. You can even add some lettuce and wrap the ingredients in a whole-wheat tortilla for a healthier taco.
Bereavement Support Group
Have you recently lost a loved one? It’s time to get the support you need. Forrest General Hospice Services is proud to offer a Bereavement Support Group. The group strives to help you process any emotional or spiritual needs that arise from the death of someone close. The group meets the first Tuesday of each month from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Asbury Hospice House dining room.
Hattiesburg Clinic Memory Center will be offering free memory screenings throughout 2023. If you are age 45 or older, you are eligible to receive this service.
The next screening will be held on Thursday, Mar. 9, from 8:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. Registration is now open and is required in advance. Space is limited and sessions fill up quickly, so early registration is recommended.
To register for a March screening, contact Memory Center at (601) 268-5620.
Additional 2023 screening dates are:
- Thursday, May 18
- Thursday, July 20
- Thursday, Sept. 21
- Thursday, Nov. 16
Memory Center is on the sixth floor of Hattiesburg Clinic located at 415 S. 28th Ave. in Hattiesburg. To learn more about Memory Center and its services, click here.
WHAT IS A MEMORY SCREENING?
A memory screening is a series of questions and/or tasks that take about 20 minutes to complete. The screening can indicate if someone might benefit from a comprehensive medical evaluation. However, it is not intended to diagnose any illness or replace consultation with a qualified health care provider. Screenings at Memory Center are available on select dates throughout the year.
FAST FACTS ABOUT ALZHEIMER’S DISEASE & DEMENTIA
- About 5.8 million Americans of all ages were living with Alzheimer’s dementia in 2019.
- Of those, approximately 200,000 people under 65 have younger-onset Alzheimer’s .
- Almost two-thirds of Americans with Alzheimer’s are women.
- Early diagnosis and treatment of dementia can help delay memory loss and prolong life.
Madalene's Moms : Spring Session
Madalene’s Moms classes will continue in the new year! Whether you are expecting a new addition or you are adding to the family, we have the perfect class for you!
PREGNANCY EXERCISE: Mondays, 5:00 PM – March 6th, 13th, 20th, and 27th; April 10th and 17th
BUMPS TO BABIES: Monday, 6:30 PM – March 13th and April 10th
FIRST YEAR: Mondays, 10:30 AM – March 6th, 13th, 20th, and 27th; April 10th and 17th
JUST MOVIN’: Mondays, 9:00 AM – March 6th, 13th, 20th, and 27th; April 10th and 17th
TODDLER YEARS: Wednesdays, 9:30 AM – March 8th, 15th, 22nd, and 29th; April 12th and 19th
Online Childbirth Education Classes
Order at CAREing Expressions Gift Shop!
CAREing Expressions Delivers: Do you have a loved one in the hospital or a friend who had a baby? Take a few minutes to brighten their day with a gift card from CAREing Expressions! Flowers, candy, cards, and balloons make a great “Get Well Soon” gift, or think outside the box with candles and decorative or beauty items from the gift shop!
The best part is you don’t even have to leave work or home. Shop by calling 601-288-4283 to find everything you need and have it delivered anywhere in the hospital, excluding the ICU, at no extra charge!
REACHING FOR THE STARS
Share your Forrest General experience by leaving a Rating or Review comment on Google or Facebook!
How to Leave a Google Review
Before leaving a review, please be sure to login to your Google account.
How to Leave a Facebook Review
Before leaving a review, please be sure to login to your Facebook account.